I tested some of the very first batch of soap I made one month ago. Though I enjoyed how it handled in the shower, a day later it was basically a pile of goo when picked up. This is either from the cheap $1 store ingredients used or for not letting the soap cure long enough. Every two weeks, I’ve broken a bar in half to look inside and they are mostly raw, pinkish inside. I don’t know whether it is still curing or if the curing has somehow malformed within the center of the bar. Either way, I will test another bar a month from now to compare how the bars acted at the 1 month point.
Now, tonight’s batch:
Here is the same lard/coconut recipe I used two nights ago. I’ve altered it so that instead of using lye water, I’ve made green tea to replace the water. The batter has come out a muddy brown, but its not so muddy that it won’t still pass as a tea soap.
The other bars of lard/coconut I made have cured very well. I was worried about the dry rings in the center, but based on some advice from message boards I’ve just shaved those off while slimming up the bar with a paring knife. These are now very angular, smooth bars of soap. I’m almost confident enough to use them right now, but nonetheless will let them cure a month before trying one. Since I have many shaved slices from my alterations, I will try these scraps in the shower and save the full bars to gift to people.
Here is the lard/coconut recipe I’ve been using:
Fats, oils and butters
- 480 grams lard
- 120 grams coconut oil
- 85 grams lye (sodium hydroxide)
- 228 grams distilled water
Scent (if you wish) can be added at trace
- 20 to 36 grams of your favorite essential oils or fragrance oils (you will need a little over 30 milliliters bottle the equivalent of about one fluid ounce).